Are you sleeping well?
Suffering from insomnia?
Do you find that when you attempt to fall asleep your mind starts spinning?
Do you wake up in the morning and feel as if you need to go back to sleep again?
What I see in my practice is all of the above. So many people are struggling with getting a good night sleep. They feel lethargic, need caffeine to keep them going and have no energy to do the things they want to do.
Insomnia affects more than one third of the adult population and is more common in women. For some people their hormones are affecting their sleep. It’s not just balancing the sex hormones such as estrogen and progesterone, what really seems to affect people’s sleep patterns is when cortisol is out of whack. Suggestions for a good nights sleep:
- Have a consistent bedtime and create a routine. Taking a warm bath with 1-2 cups of Epsom salts in it and a few drops of lavender essential oil works great for many people.
- Reduce your caffeine, especially later in the day and make sure to avoid large meals in the evening.
- Help balance your body with herbal adaptogens. Adaptogens are herbs that help your body deal with stress. A few that I love…
- Ashwaganda – helps your body deal with stress in the body and for those with thyroid issues, it helps to balance them.
- Cordyceps – a medicinal mushroom that helps fight fatigue and boost energy while at the same time allows you to have a good nights sleep.
- My favorite is a cup of linden tea before bed – linden helps your body to relax and let go of the events of the day. If I find myself up at 2 am, a cup of linden tea puts me right back to bed
- Another favorite – skullcap – great when you find your mind spinning. It doesn’t make you sleepy but stops the mind movies that are stopping your from falling asleep
What have you found that works for you? Write your comments below. I'd love to hear from you.
PS - the original article was written in April 2013, since then I have purchased a Bemer and find I no longer need to use my herbs for sleeping. It's amazing to me, I get into bed and fall asleep, many times not even getting up in the middle of the night to use the restroom. Feel free to look at the info or call me with questions, it's been an amazing tool for so much. It's wonderful when you can wake in the morning feeling amazing.