Posted by Bonnie Rogers on 12/10/2015 to Healthy Recipes
For years I avoided hot chocolate as it was filled with lot of sugar and dairy. But now I have a great recipe for you to try. I’m loving it and it is filled with delicious ingredients that not only taste good but are good for you.
The recipe is towards the end of the post –
Here are the ingredients and the benefits to you
- (at the end of this article I have a simple way for you to make your own coconut milk)
- Builds Muscle and helps Lose Fat
- Studies find that the medium chain triglycerides (MCT) fatty acids that are in coconut milk help enhance physical performance and repair broken down tissue
- Prevents Fatique
- The MCT’s in the coconut milk are easily used by your brain for energy
- Coconut milk provides a quick and easy energy source for allow you to focus more efficiently
- Improves Heart health by Lowering Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
- Coconuts are filled with lauric acid which according to many studies is linked with improved cholesterol and heart health
- It contains minerals important for circulation and the maintenance of keeping blood vessels flexible and elastic
- Helps Release Weight
- A study done at McGill University showed a diet high in MCT’s stimulated weight loss
- Coconut milk is very filling and helps burn fat in the body
- Improves Digestion
- Coconut milk nourishes the digestive tract, helps to improve gut health
- Balances Blood Sugar
- The fat content in the coconut milk helps slow the rate at which sugar is released into the bloodstream
- Helps with Joint Inflammation
- The MCT’s in coconut milk help lower inflammation throughout the body and seems to help with joint inflammation
Vanilla extract or powder
If you are using vanilla extract it tastes good and may make you feel good but there are no medicinal components in it. However, if you are using vanilla powder (I used the Bulletproof vanilla powder but you can find other brands). If it is processed with no heat it helps as an anti-inflammatory agent along with increasing your cognitive performance
There are so many health benefits of cinnamon but I think the 3 most important are:
- Blood sugar regulator
- Boosts cognitive function and memory
In its raw state, chocolate (also known as cacao) is one of the richest sources of antioxidants of any food. It’s filled with magnesium and other minerals such as calcium, potassium and more. Its got lots of of Vitamins, B, C & E, heart healthy fats and protein
- The theobromine and other constituents in cacao may lower blood pressure and help circulation as it helps dilate and strengthen blood vessels
- Supports healthy heart functioning with its powerful antioxidants
- The high level of antioxidants helps neutralize free radicals (there are nearly twice the antioxidants in cacao than in a glass of red wine)
- Theobromine helps stimulate the central nervous system, relax smooth muscles and gives the body a boost of energy – along with increasing serotonin to improve mood and combat depression –
- So having a little raw chocolate is good for you.
- Cayenne is a catalyst for everything else you are eating with it
- Helps improve circulation
- Aids digestion by stimulating your gastric enzymes
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves metabolism
Remember maple syrup is still a sugar. It is slightly lower than sugar on the glycemic index but it is still sugar. You can use some stevia drops in this recipe but I prefer the taste of maple syrup so I find that a half teaspoon is more than enough for me in this recipe.
Healthy Hot Chocolate Recipe for one portion:
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (or another nut milk like cashew or almond) below I will explain below how I make my own organic coconut milk.
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract or a pinch of vanilla powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened raw cacao powder (I use the Bulletproof raw chocolate powder) you can also use carob powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- Stevia or maple syrup (I use about ½ teaspoon maple syrup)
put all the ingredients in a saucepan, heat up using a low heat, stir gently, once it is hot - ENJOY
How to make your own coconut milk
- 1 cup of organic shredded coconut flakes - I then blend them up first in the bottom of the vitamix OR you can use a coffee grinder to blend it up.
- Put 1 cup of HOT water in your blender with the cup of blended up coconut – leave on for a minute in a vitamix or nutribullet or a little longer in a regular blender
- Add 3 more cups of HOT water to the blender or vitamix, blend in the vitamix another 2-3 minutes and a little longer in your regular blender
- I then pour the entire thing through a nut milk bag but you don’t need to, I don’t like small coconut flakes floating but they do sink to the bottom of your jar so its not necessary. I then use a silicone pot holder to squeeze out the hot liquid from the nut milk bag.
When you purchase coconut milk it is generally not organic and has a lot of “ingredients” in it. I prefer to use the purest organic coconut. I get my dried organic coconut either from Nuts.com or from WildernessFamilyNaturals.com
Enjoy your hot chocolate and your coconut milk, leave me a comment below to let me know how you prepare yours and how this came out for you.