Turkey chili in the instant-pot. A simple, fast dinner when you need a quick, warming dinner.
Last night I had defrosted some organic, pastured ground turkey with all intentions of having turkey burgers for dinner, but when time came to cook them, chili sounded better to me.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, you can make it spicier than I like, you'll see options, but the level of spice I used was just perfect for me.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper , I prefer red pepper, but you can use green pepper
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 1 teaspoon tamari sauce (or soy sauce if you are not gluten free)
- small 4 oz can chopped chilis (I did not use them)
- instead of the 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, if you like your chili less tomatoee, use a 15 oz can of either crushed tomatoes or fire roasted tomatoes
- you can add more chili powder if you like, taste when done and adjust the seasoning
I recommend you use all organic ingredients but this is my thing, so use what you want :)
You can make this is a pot on the stove, but you will have to adjust your cooking time
- Turn your instant pot on to saute, put the oil in, add the turkey and continually stir to break it up into small pieces. Should take about 4 minutes. Continue until you see no more pink
- Add the onion, bell pepper, celery, carrot, garlic - keep stirring for about 3 minutes
- Add the rest of your ingredients, stir
- Close the vent on the top of the instant pot, Set the cook time for 20 minutes. When the cooking time finishes, open the valve to reduce the pressure
- NOTE: you can serve this over rice, or top with grated cheese or avocado
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator and reheated for up to 5 days or frozen for a few months.
I hope you love this recipe as much as I did. It was perfect for me when I just wanted a bowl of comfort food. Let me know what you think below :)