Simple herbal medicine you can make in your kitchen and use daily.
Everyone is concerned today with COVID-19 (Coronavirus). I thought I'd give you some of my thoughts today on how you can not only keep yourself safe (hopefully) but how you can build up your immune system so that if the virus happens to get in you, your body can fight it naturally.
What I am currently doing to keep my immune system strong and recipes for you to make:
I am currently using:
- a tablespoon per day of Fire Cider
- a teaspoon of Elderberry Syrup
- drinking a few cups of bone broth which has astragalus and medicinal mushrooms in it
- occasionally making astragalus tea
- 10,000 iu of Vitamin D (I use Designs for Health either Liposomal D Supreme or Emulsi D3 Synergy - click here and use code Bonnie25% at checkout for a 25% off plus free shipping)
- Vitamin C - you can get high quality with above link and discount code - OR read below.
STAY AWAY FROM SUGAR!!!! By eating foods that increase glucose in your body you are potentially decreasing your immune system. Some say that when you ingest sugar your immune system is lowered for a few hours. What is sugar? Sugar can be candy, cake, ice cream, bagels, pasta, potatoes, liquor. So next time you want one of these things, stop, make a conscious decision if you really want this and if so, eat it in moderate amounts. Try to make most of your diet consist of organic green vegetables, low glycemic fruits, wild fish, grass fed beef and pastured chicken and turkey and if you are vegetarian choose wisely.
What is Fire Cider and why you should be using it daily.
In my opinion, no kitchen should be without fire cider!
Fire Cider is an herbal tonic.
I take small amounts of it daily as an inexpensive, effective way to keep my immune system strong and for when I get some type of infection I use it in higher quantities.
Some of the benefits of Fire Cider's ingredients include:
- Horseradish root: The antibacterial properties of Horseradish have been used to fight bacteria. Horseradish strongly stimulates the digestive system by, increasing gastric secretions. It's a good diuretic that promotes perspiration, making it useful in fevers, colds, and flu. Need your sinus's clear? Horseradish is the number one herb for getting rid of sinus congestion and headaches.Horseradish is also an expectorant and mildly antibiotic, and can be of use in both respiratory and urinary tract infections.
- Ginger is fabulous for its ability to warm the stomach, to ease nausea and to fight off colds, chills and coughs. Ginger is useful for all types of congestion in the body in addition to helping the circulation. It fights infection making it a great immune support. (A simple tasty recipe with ginger is to take a 3 inch chunk of ginger, chop it up small, put in a pan with 6 cups of filtered water and a cinnamon stick - bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes - drink as much as you want. Store in the refrigerator and heat up on the stove - no microwave)
- Raw garlic supports the immune function and opens the pores of the skin to lower a fever. This herb's antibacterial and antimicrobial properties make it useful for bladder and kidney infections, yeast infections, and ear infections.
- Cayenne is useful for increasing circulation and to get mucous flowing. This herb is an anti-inflammatory and anti-irritant. It is used as a digestive aid to stimulate gastric juices. Many people report relief from migraines with this herb as well.
How to Make Fire Cider Ingredients
- 1 quart Organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Horseradish root grated (if you can't find fresh horseradish root you can use Gold's horseradish (white)
- 1/8 cup of Garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup of Onion chopped
- 1/2 cup of Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Cayenne (fresh or powdered)
- optional - add turmeric fresh or powdered
- optional - add some rosemary
Directions: Place all ingredients in a quart jar and cover with Apple Cider Vinegar. Cover tightly. Steep for 8 weeks. (but you can start using it after 2 weeks) Strain into clean jar.
Some folks steep this recipe for 2 weeks - others say 2 or 3 months. Personally, I find the flavor and strength I desire by steeping at least 6 weeks. However, if you need it sooner you may certainly use it after just several weeks.
Some like to add raw honey to their mix once they have strained it. Yes honey makes it easier to get down but my feeling is that I can always add it, but I prefer it without the sugars.
How to Use Your Fire Cider? ~ Rub into sore and aching joints. ~ Soak a clean cloth in Fire Cider and place on a congested chest. ~ Drink it straight or diluted in a bit of water or tomato juice. Start out with a tsp or so to test your tolerance level. ~ Mix with a bit of honey to ease a cough. Individual tolerance to the heat will vary so you and your family will want to experiment with quantity. Personally, I can drink a small shot glass at a time diluted in a little water. (my new favorite is to put a tablespoon in a shot glass filled with probiotic juice of tomato Others will want only a few drops mixed with honey, or only topically. Some I know use as part of their salad dressing daily.
Recently I had an awful sore throat and a friend of mine suggested I gargle with vinegar - so as long as I had fire cider I thought, might as well try it. I have to tell you that after 2 times gargling with fire cider (OMG it was so spicy) my fever disappeared and the sore throat was almost gone. A few times the next day and it was a thing of the past. So you can try this if you want....
You can purchase elderberry syrup or you can make it yourself.
Here is my recipe that you can try.
This is beneficial for colds and the flu and to boost the immune system.
- Simmer ½ cup dried elderberries with 3 cups of spring water, ¼ teaspoon powdered cinnamon, and 1 inch of fresh chopped ginger root.
- Mash the berries with the water and spices and simmer at a low boil for one half-hour.
- Turn off the heat and add ¼ cup of dried elderflower – let infuse for 15 minutes.
- Strain. Return the liquid to the pot and add 1 cup of raw honey. Melt the honey into the liquid, bottle and refrigerate.
It will keep for about 3 months.
For an adult take 1 Tablespoon when feeling the sniffles coming on, or when you want to build up your immune system.