Posted by Bonnie Rogers on 4/4/2013 to Healthy Recipes
Kale, amazing kale is one of my favorite vegetables. It's low in calories, only 36 per cup, high in fiber, its filled with minerals such as iron, magnesium and calcium in addition to being a powerhouse of antioxidants including vitamins A, C and K. Kale will help lower your cholesterol, reduce your risk of heart disease and best of all its a great anti-inflammatory food.
Sometime in the next few weeks I'll plant kale in my garden and in just a month or so it will look like the image you see here of my kale in last years garden. The best thing in the world is to go into the garden, pick some fresh kale, rinse it off and make some kale salad or crispy kale right out of the garden.
Today's recipe is for my "Famous Kale Salad"
- 1 bunch of kale greens
- handful of dried cranberries or currents
- handful of sunflower seeds and/or pumpkin seeds
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 T raw honey
- pinch of so of cayenne pepper
- Begin by taking the kale greens off of the mid-rib and breaking into bite size pieces. Wash well
- Make your salad dressing by mixing the olive oil, lemon juice, honey and cayenne pepper in a small bowl
- Pour the dressing over the kale greens and "massage" them. What I mean is just squeeze the greens with the dressing for about 30-60 seconds. This will allow the lemon juice to begin to break down the fibers in the kale so that they will be easily absorbed in your body.
- Add the sunflower, pumpkin seeds and cranberries or currents
- mix and enjoy
- the salad can be stored in your refrigerator for a day or so and just gets better and better
If you have other amazing kale recipes, please share them below. Don't forget to share your thoughts in the comments section. I'd love to hear from